About Me

My photo

Wife, doggy-mother, Jesus follower, CANCER FIGHTER! Just enjoying each day as it comes and remembering what is really important - family and GOD.


Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Infertility: Retrieval - Day 0

I wrote this post June 24, 2013.

Well friends, today was a big day. We were up and at 'em and at the doctors office by 7:30. We were called right back where they took me into pre-op. I changed into a gown, got comfy in the bed and was hooked up to the monitors. My heart rate was through the roof.

A quick selfie before going in:

The staff was great! I was a nervous wreck about the anesthesia and the IV. The doctor came in to talk with us before the procedure and explained what would happen. Then the anesthesiologist came in. He was not my favorite person people. I have HORRIBLE veins. Horrible. Thank goodness he had the shots of lidocaine. Which hurt like a b by the way. He had to stick me TWICE but finally got an IV started. By the time he was finished I was covered in hives and crying (just a few tears squeaked out). Not long after I kissed Jay and headed to procedure. 

I have only been put under any kind of anesthesia once, when I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 18. I do not do well with the feeling of being out of control of my body, and when he pushed the first round of medicine and I felt myself feel "loopy" I started hyperventilating. Thankfully they calmed me down quickly (or the sweet medicine did) and the next thing I remember is waking up in recovery. I asked Justin probably 100 times how many eggs they retrieved and what the doctor said. Apparently I was also very upset that I "paid $28,000 for these shitty pillows!" Um yeah, not sure where that came from. I was pretty emotional and in some considerable pain, but drifted back off to sleep for another hour or so. When I woke up I drank some juice and felt much better. I was so hungry when we left I demolished a bread bowl from Panera :)

I also, in my very groggy, still under anesthesia induced haze, told Justin to take a picture of me so I could put it on the blog. I was still so medicine-drunk I couldn't lift my head!

I slept all afternoon in our hotel and got up around 6:00 to shower. Justin's mom and sister happened to be in St. Louis today for her birthday, so we met them for a quick dinner. It did me good to get up and out.

I'm feeling better now. We are headed back home tomorrow morning, only to be back soon for the transfer. 13 beautiful eggs were harvested today. I'm praying for a call tomorrow that says 13 beautiful eggs fertilized and are on their way to embryos.


  1. The comment about the pillows is hilarious! Gotta love anesthesia!

    1. I'm just thankful that was the most embarrassing thing I said :)