Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Back on the Wagon

I am going to veer from my normal blog material. I am by NO means writing a healthy eating/living blog. I mean, most of my meals are centered around dessert. But, after feeling bad about my body image for the last few weeks, on top of being miserable in my pants, I have decided to change things up. Again. :)

I actually GOT UP AT 6:00AM to work out! This is a freaking miracle people. I don't do mornings. I don't do working out. And to combine the two.... Wowza. It helped that J decided to get up and go with me. Granted - he can come back home and nap :) But I needed the moral support to get my lazy hind-end out of bed. I got about 45 minutes of work-out time in. Started with a walk/jog interval on the treadmill, did some crunches on the balance ball, and worked my thighs and arm flab. I just want to feel good about myself - so I know this will help.

Also, we have started "meal planning" each of our main meals during the week. On Saturday, I went through a list of some recipes - new and old. Actually, for a wedding gift, we got a subscription to E-Meals. It is a meal planning service that gives you 5-7 meals per week AND a grocery list. We used this as our base. But, some of the meals we just won't ever like - so I substitute in. We also have a subscription to Cooking Light which I love. And I own about 500 cookbooks :) So between all the resources, we came up with a pretty healthy, summer inspired menu for the next seven days!

The recipe we made last night was AWESOME! So awesome, that I am going to include it below. I am not going to give exact measurements, ect - because I don't know them. I am the type to use a recipe (unless I am baking) as a "guide" and just kind of go with the flow. I even took pictures to share :-)


Warm Chicken Salad with Grilled Onions
(adapted from E-Meals.com)


Ingredients:  (Serves 2)

  • 1 large chicken breast, filleted and pounded or 2 small pounded to uniform thickness
  • 1 1/2 cups olive oil/vinegar salad dressing (we used a Greek inspired)
  • 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes/ halved
  • 1 medium purple onion, sliced thickly (do NOT separate rings)
  • 1/2 cucumber, diced
  • romaine lettuce

Directions:
  1.  Marinate the chicken breasts in 1/2-1 cup salad dressing (enough to cover) for 2 hours in fridge
  2. Chop cucumber and tomatoes, marinate in 1/2 cup salad dressing for 2 hours in fridge
  3. Grill chicken breasts after marinating until done
  4. Spray onion rings lightly with cooking spray (we used olive oil base) and grill until tender
  5. Chop romaine lettuce and place on plate; top with sliced chicken breast, tomato/cucumber mixture and grilled onions
  6. Drizzle with remaining salad dressing if needed

We served ours with grilled corn-on-the-cob and fresh, grilled asparagus. For the asparagus, we used our Armatele grill pan and lightly coated the asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper.

This meal was outstanding. It will definitely be making a rotation in our weekly line-up. You could do all types of variations on this too. Just marinate the chicken/protein in a different flavor and add grilled veggies to fit the "theme."

I also lucked out to some spiffy dessert. Strawberries were on sale for $0.99 a container (bushel? peck? pound?), so I stocked up on three. Along with some light cool-whip and the tiny, round pound cakes. J kept telling me that when I wanted dessert, to let him know because he wanted to fix it. Here is what he brought me:


Oh yeah! I am a lucky girl!

Oh - we do all of our grocery shopping at Aldi's. For this week - which included seven nightly meals, plus stuff for breakfast and lunch, and all produce was fresh, our grocery total was about $100. Not bad at all. I also had to grab a few pantry staples that won't be on the list next week - so this is on the higher end. But, I don't consider this figure to be high for two people, with ALL fruits/veggies fresh. Nothing was canned or processed when it came to produce or meats.

Hopefully I will get the vacation photos uploaded soon - I haven't even looked at them!

4 comments:

  1. Your supper looked amazing last night! We will have to try this out. We had taco bean dip, thanks to Jay =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooo good! And I am having taco bean salad for lunch =) Still working on the leftovers from Sunday. I can't. get. enough.

      Delete
  2. Even though Jeff & I are health freaks (him more than me though HAHA!), I still plan my daily numbers around my dessert at night :) Sanity is important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A life without dessert is not a life I wish to live!

      Delete