Sunday, May 13, 2012

To All the Moms

Today was one of those awesome, awe-inspiring days when I felt God speaking directly to me. I do not know why I am surprised - He has done this many times. Yet, each time I hear His voice and His message resonate exactly when I need it, I am taken a little by surprise.

As Justin and I were headed to church this morning, I told him I felt it may be a little emotional for me. Obviously, the focus today was on mothers. And obviously, I am not one, although I long to be. I just felt this tiny wave of sadness because things haven't happened as fast as I want them to.

God reminded me, though, that everything is in His timing. His perfect timing.

The preacher's message today focused on two mothers from the bible. Two mothers who, prayed and longed for a child. Two mothers who turned to God for salvation, but each reacted differently to His answers.

The first was the story of Abraham and Sarah. Sarah was very old - too old to have a child. Yet, God had promised Abraham that he would have a son. The Lord appeared before Abraham along with three men.

Then they said to him, "Where is Sarah your wife?" And he said, "There, in the tent." He said, "I will surely return to you at this time next year, and behold; Sarah your wife will have a son." And Sarah was listening at the tent door, which was behind him. Now, Abraham and Sarah were old,  advanced in age; Sarah was past childbearing years. Sarah laughed to herself, saying, "After I have become old, shall I have the pleasure, my lord being old also?" And the Lord said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh, saying 'Shall I indeed bear a child, when I am so old?"" Is anything to difficult for the Lord? ~ Genesis 18:9-14.
Sarah laughed in the face of the Lord. She totally mis-perceived God's abilities.  She giggled behind the tent, and did not hear what the Lord her GOD was telling her. I don't want to be a Sarah. I want to be a Hannah.

Hannah prayed for years to be blessed with a child. The Lord had closed her womb. (1 Samuel 1:5).  She was praying feverishly for a child, and one day was at church praying when Eli saw her talking, seemingly to herself, and accused her of drinking too much. She told him no, she was just praying for the Lord to open her womb, and so Eli blessed her. But - in due time, the Lord remembered her, and she conceived, giving her first son to the Lord to do his will. (1 Samuel 1:12-20).

Hannah praised the Lord. She never gave up. She always believed that the Lord would open her womb and bless her with sweet children.  Hannah prayed a song of Thanksgiving, saying in part:

My heart exults in the Lord; My horn is exalted in the Lord, my moth speaks boldly against my enemies; Because I rejoice in Your salvation. There is no one holy like the Lord,, Indeed, there is no one besides You, nor is there any rock like our God. ~ 1 Samuel 2:1-3
As I sat on the pew today, I felt like God needed me to hear these stories. Our time is coming. We will be blessed. I have faith. I have the faith of Hannah - and I know that God is capable of the completely unimaginable. So I can't wait to see what He has ready for us.

After church, we celebrated with our families. We went over to Justin's grandma's house to spend time with her and his Mom and family. Then we came home and I cooked a big meal for my mom and dad. It was a very nice day filled with family, love and fun.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms, Moms-to-be, praying to be Moms, fur Moms, and the next best thing to Mom (aka - Aunts!). My sweet Sam always says if he can't have his Mom, his Baba is the next best thing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment