Friday, June 22, 2012

SUYL: Dining Rooms

I am participating in Kelly's Korner Show Us Your Life: Dining Rooms today!

Our "dining room" is connected to our galley kitchen. It isn't very large, but honestly it is perfectly sized for us.

Before we re-did the house, the dining room had HORRIBLE shag carpet, nasty wallpapered paneling, a ceiling fan, and this terrible half-wall thing with wooden spindles. It. was. terrible.

That being said - the dining room was one of our biggest transformations. We added a pantry on one side, which was much needed. Also, we completely knocked down the half-wall and had our contractor build a wall with an arched opening, and a large square entrance from the kitchen/dining room to the living room. We also put up a new light fixture, sheetrocked AND re-wired the entire room, and painted the walls a deep chocolate brown. Now - it is gorgeous!


SO here is the archway I am referring to. I just LOVE it. I think it adds so much architectural detail to the house. I wish I could find a picture from Christmas - I put a glittery swag over the top, and have a Christmas tree in the dining room so it is peeking out from the arch. Beautiful.

The connoisseur canvas was a clearance find at Target :) The green vase is an antique piece from Justin's grandma.
 

Here is a peek in from the living room. I don't know WHY my dirty socks were laying on the table. The table was a hand-me-down from my sister. SCORE! I love it. LOVE. I think she purchased it at a specialty furniture store when she lived in Florida.



Here is the view from the kitchen. The large antique buffet on the back wall belongs to Justin's grandma. It stores all of our china, napkins, placemats, and some serving pieces.

The red and tan shag rug again - was a Target find. Do you sense a theme?? Hahaha!

So there you have it. Our little dining room! I am pretty happy with it. It is so warm and inviting.


4 comments:

  1. I really like your table and chairs! Love how the lighter colors contrast with your wall color!

    Stopping by from Kelly's Korner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am very thankful for that hand-me-down!

      Delete
  2. It is nice to have pieces from our grandparents, eh? I have a few in my house and it helps me feel connected to them.

    As you can tell I am a few weeks behind on my blog reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does. I love the thought of having generations of family heirlooms in our home.

      Delete